They need and ask for more independence as well as privacy.
They have a heightened awareness of body image and are concerned about appearances and social dynamics.
They are able to and enjoy exploring abstract or complex issues.
OST Services: Young people in the 15 + age groups are quickly changing as they approach adulthood. They need and ask for more independence as well as privacy. They have a heightened awareness of body image and are concerned about appearances and social dynamics. They are able to and enjoy exploring abstract or complex issues. They seek praise from adults and enjoy helping younger children.
OST programmes should offer opportunities to explore ideas, opinions and beliefs. They should be given many choices but have clear boundaries.
Programmes should include the following elements
- Opportunities to discuss issues important to young people
- Projects involving team work and leadership
- Opportunities to express their ideas and opinions creatively, such as presentations, skits, performances, writing or multimedia
- Opportunities to talk openly with adults who are not their parents
- Projects that encourage young people to work with or discuss diverse cultures
- Chances to work on specific skills or school subjects they find challenging
- Projects that help others in their community, especially younger children
- Opportunities to use math, reading or science in real world situations
- Access to a number international case studies on OST provision in a variety of circumstances,
- What works for Older Youth.
- Strategies to engage older Youth in OST,
- 10 programmes for teens.
Types of Programme:
- How Accessible is your Organisation to.... a useful NYCI publication that provides background information on a range of issues important to young people and also include a audit of the service you provide. Here are a number of selected issues developed by Foroige, Youth Work Ireland and Headstrong , early school leavers, young people involved in the juvenile justice system, and young people with mental health issues.
- Check out Youth Civic Engagement What it is How it Works Here
- Teen Action Curriculum developed for teens in NYC this manual covers some 24 chapters covering every element of programme development to a series of themed learning units covering a wide range of issues from environment to adolescent sexual health.
Issues: Check Out
This NYCI Toolkit is very useful for anyone working with young people and invites organisations to examine how they currently work and engage with youth from a variety of backgrounds.